Sunday, May 30, 2010

First Sunday

Last night I led Evening Prayer, which I love doing (not only because it's an opportunity to ring the bells). We had 10 people! With no group staying at the Guest House, that was a good turn out, I thought. I'm finding I really enjoy greeting and talking with other pilgrims about their experience of hearing the Word spoken here in the Holy Land. Like me, many of them speak of how emotion they feel the first time.

This morning, I jumped in with both feet. There are three Sunday services at the Cathedral: 8h (English), 9h30 (Arabic) and 11h (English). I attended the 9h30 and 11h. In This Anglican Church of Ours, Patricia Bays talks about how regardless of where she is in the world, when she enters an Anglican service she has no trouble following along. I found this to be (mostly) true as I joined in the Arabic servcie. I mean, I had NO idea what Fr. Zahi preached about...but I knew when and what to respond at given parts of the service (Ok...my translated order of service helped!). Funny though, I would say the responses or prayers in English, obviously, and still have a line or two to go when they would be finished! I would just say them quickly to myself and leave it at that.

In true Anglican style, the Arabic community hosts a sort of coffee hour after the service. I had no time to attend before helping set up for the 11h service. I did make my way through the line up of 4 (yes, 4 clergy), including Bishop Suheil, whom I was able to meet. Bishop Suheil leaves for Halifax tomorrow to attend General Synod as Bishop John's guest.

At the 11h service we celebrated Trinity Sunday, with hymns I recognized and "traditional" organ music. I was asked to read the first reading and the Psalm. I checked before the service started that the readings were on the lecturn. And yet...when I finished reading from Proverbs and turned the page for the Psalm...it wasn`t there! Normally this would make me a bit flustered. The congregation does not have prayer books out in the chairs, they only use a booklet Order of Service. Luckily, I spoted what I'm sure was the only prayer book (a Book of Common Prayer, obviously) in the nave, explained I did not have the response handy so I would simply read the Psalm in its entirety. All was smooth. No one blinked.

Note to St. Helen's Orleans: Perhaps I'm finally learning to think on my feet!

This evening I attended a candle lit Taizé service, which was lovely. The hymns were accompanied by keyboard and were a tad faster than I've experienced, but the space, the prayers and readings, the use of Icons and the time for silent reflection/meditation was a wonderful way to end the day.

It was still light out when the service started, so the candles don't have the same affect in these photos, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment