Thursday, May 27, 2010

The "Wailing" Wall

Yes, I know I went to see the Western Wall yesterday, but I did not stop to pray or touch or simply watch the people in the square. Today I did.



There were significantly more people present today than yesterday and it seemed to be a day for Bar Mitzvahs. I didn't realize this went I approached and thought the group of young Israelies waving flags were part of a demonstration. There seemed to be more police present today, too. However, it was simply the festivities. 

A few other things struck me as I made my way down to my "women only" section of the wall. One, you'll notice from the picture, is how disproportionate the size of the men's portion of the Wall is to the women's (the umbrellas are along the dividing barrier). Two, was how respectful most people are while in front of the Wall. People line up (relatively) and wait for the person in front of them to finish praying, and then slide into place as they leave. Some of the women left the Wall walking backward so not to turn away from the sacred ground.




The notes of prayer slid into the cracks of the Wall! Fantastic to see in person. It is amazing how small people can squeeze a peice of paper to make it fit into a crack. It's amazing the Wall still stands after all these centuries with the added pressure (the notes are removed regularly and buried during a sacred ceremony on account the notes contain God's name and prayers from the heart).





This last picture, shows the women lined up looking over the barrier to the men's side as the men and boys celebrate a Bar Mitzvah. 


I admit, though I'm sure to no surprise to those who know me, that I succumbed to the wailing Wall's nickname. I didn't so much wail, but I was very moved and certainly had to wipe a tear or two away. 

Maybe it was being in the presence of such unison and diversity. Here, Jews, Muslims and Christians share space in worship and prayer and for that moment you can let youself rest in the peace of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment