Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Prayers for Peace Reflection

Sunday evenings, the Cathedral holds a service of Prayers for Peace. There is opportunity for a brief (three minute) reflection, which I have been offering the last three Sundays and will continue doing until I leave.

Three minutes is brief..much harder to do than a Sunday sermon, I'm finding. Reflection is usually provided on the Gospel reading, and as much as possible/appropriate, related to peace and reconciliation. One of the learning goals I gave myself while here was to try and get comfortable with short-notice reflections. Sort of a personal training to think on my feet. As such, I write my reflections Sunday afternoons for Sunday evening.

Below is this week's reflection.

The Parable of Weeds among the Wheat (Matt 13: 24-30)

He put before them another parable: “The Kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; but while everyone was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’ He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. Let both of them grow together until harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.’”

This Gospel reading made me think of missionaries. At home in Canada, it often provokes distaste in one’s mouth, drawing up images of someone who wants to come evangelize and convert the heathen. Missionary can be seen less about witnessing a people and learning about their customs, culture and where God already exists among them, and more about bringing the truth and the only way as you know it, to them.

I’ve found living in Israel-Palestine I am only just beginning to understand how this happens within the peace and reconciliation efforts. We convince ourselves that we outsiders should come and tell you “what the real problem is” and how to fix it:
-          “A two state solution is the only solution.”
-          “Having Jerusalem as a separate entity protected by the UN is the only solution.”

It seems logical and helpful to think we can come to say, Israel-Palestine, having read books and watched the news, believing we understand the millennia of history and conflict in the region. We are excited to offer sage advice and support, standing in protest, writing articles, blogs and email…all in pursuit of justice and peace.

However, our zeal to help can in fact prevent us from seeing any damage we ourselves contribute to the process. What impact do my public actions or statements have on this diocese, for example? What negative impact do I unwittingly have on Bishop Suheil’s ability to minister to his Church (Bishop Suheil is a Nablus-born Palestinian living in Jerusalem by permssion of the Israeli government)?

I think the Gospel reminds us of the importance of remembering what is both seen and unseen in our world and within such deep-set conflicts. That the good is intertwined with the evil. Just as the farmer rushed to pull up the weed in his pasture of wheat, he would lose some of his harvest, we too must be patient, caring for the good among the evil, confident that one day, in the fullness of our lives, it is God who separates us from the evil.

In our prayers tonight, I ask:

God to teach me to be patient and to go slow,
To teach me how to wait on Him, when I do not know.
To teach me sweet forbearance, when things do not go right.
To teach me how to quiet my racing, rising heart, so I may hear the answer He is trying to impart.
To teach me not only to use my voice, but how and when to use it. 

(this little prayer is my adaptation of one I found online)

No comments:

Post a Comment