Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Preaching

As a woman, there are certain aspects of ministry I am not currently allowed to participate in here in Jerusalem. I cannot, for example, read the Gospel, preach or serve communion.

I was made aware of this before I came to Jerusalem and had pretty much made peace with that. I made it clear, as you would have read in my first blog entry, that I am excited to stand as represenative of women pursing ordination within the Anglican Communion, but that my intention was not to come and make waves in a currently-ongoing process.

The Diocese of Jerusalem and the Middle East has reached an agreement to endorse the discussion of women's ordination. Bishop Suheil, as I understand it, is very supportive of this effort, as shown by agreeing to have the first seminarian at the Cathedral in recent memory, be a woman.

So, what have I been doing other than touring biblical and historic sites around Palestine and Israel? I can lead Evening Prayer, which I do a few times a week. I can robe on Sundays to be crucifer, I can read the lessons (except the Gospel), and I can lead the Prayers of the People.

Today, I proposed to Fr. Bob that I prepare theological reflections each week on the lectionary for Sunday. Not only would this give me exercise in preparing sermons, despite not being able to deliver them from the pulpit, but it gives the community a better glance at who I am and what I'm doing here. Not to mention, it is a gentle way of giving the local community (as opposed to the pilgrims who pass through) exposure to a woman's perspective.

Fr. Bob quickly agreed to this, which I am extremely pleased about. I see this as a small, but great step forward in the discussions.

I will also be able to provide brief, 3 minute reflections at Sunday Evening Prayer, which is a service of Prayers for Peace. The service is held in the chapel, so it is intimate...sometimes it's just you, sometimes you and one person, sometimes 20 people. From what I've seen, it's always pilgrims or ex-pats. What it does mean is that reading my reflections off the page won't cut it...I'll have to uber prepare (for me) to be able to speak "off the cuff." Those who know me will appreciate the fear this idea evokes in me.

I will face the fear. It's just another's Ramparts Walk.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Ker lady....you'll bring life with your words, as little or as much as they might be. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderfully proud of you - for your innitiative, your perserverence and your wonderful insight. You are an amazing person, on an amazing journey, with an amazing talent, partaking in an amazing experience. Way to go!

    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete