Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Old City Visits

Aware that my time in Israel-Palestine is starting to wind down, I set out yesterday intending to visit a few "must see" sites.

My first stop was practically next door to the Cathedral close: the Garden Tomb. I have walked passed the Garden countless times and not taken the opportunity to pop in for a look.
"The place of the Skull"

Considered controversial by some because it contradicts the more traditional Holy Sepulcher, the site is believed by some to be the garden and sepulchre of Joseph of Arimathea, and a possible site of the resurrection of Jesus. The Garden is run by an organization from the UK. The brochure/walking tour guide acknowledges the inability to confirm the "actual location" of Biblical events.
Large cistern
Ancient wine press

What the Garden Tomb does do is give imagery for a first century "rich man's" property, including a large wine press. And it provides a quiet and GREEN place for retreat within the hussle and bussle of the city.
The tomb
The tomb, showing the gutter-like groove in the rock that would allow the stone to be rolled away
Possible stone used to close a tomb

After the Garden Tomb, I attempted to make my way to St. James Cathedral in the Armenian quarter and back to St. Mark's, the Syrian Orthodox Church, said to be over St. Mark's house. I have been to St Mark's for evening prayer, but I did not have a chance to descend to the grotto.

These attempts were thwarted due to timing. Instead, I made my way to Mt. Zion, just outside the Old City walls at Zion Gate, and fell upon several sites:

Dormition Abbey is connected to where Mary is traditionally said to have "slept."
One of the many side chapels circling the Abbey
Statue of King David under Dormition Abbey
When I turned away from King David, I realized the Room of the Last Supper and King David's Tomb were right in front of me.

According to Christian tradition, the "Upper Room" is where Jesus celebrated the Last Supper with his disciples.
The Upper Room / Room of the Last Supper
The marker on this room read King David's Tomb, but as I write, I realize I was not in fact in the room that commemorates the King. I will have to revisit to see the sarcophagus
In my wanderings, I was asked if I wanted to see a Jewish art exhibit, so I did. I spent about 35 minutes with the vulunteer at the exhibit as he explained the prayer behind each piece:
The artist's name is: Amilia Lev
The last thing I came upon was President's Room, which I read is dedicated to prayers for peace from around the world. It was really quite an interesting room to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment