Friday, August 20, 2010

Shukran / Toda / Thank You

I leave Jerusalem in the morning, which means today has been a day of thanking people and saying goodbye.

Jill, one of the College volunteers and someone I've come to consider a friend, asked me recently about my ability to receive: a hug, appreciation, hospitality.... The conversation stuck with me for the last few weeks, and especially today as I expressed my gratitude to members of St. George's Cathedral and College staff who have taken a risk on a Canadian seminarian--the first at St. George's Cathedral in people's recollection--and a female, to boot. They have graced me with ears to listen, shared their experiences and offered advice, they have encouraged me and challenged me, spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. They have given of their time and helped me nurture and develop my ministry in this diocese. They have shared in my journey.

I feel blessed and honoured to have had opportunity to receive these gifts so freely shared.

This evening over a farewell dinner at the Christmas Hotel, I listened as some of them shared their appreciation for the gifts I brought to the ministry of this diocese.

I am also grateful for receiving the opportunity to travel to, and spend three months living, learning, travelling and working in Jerusalem. Without the Anglican Church of Canada's Theological Students International Intern Program this experience would not have been possible.

I received overwhelming hospitablity during my time here. I have received appreciation for my presence and for what I managed to bring to the diocese. And I have received hugs and well wishes as I say goodbye.

I leave Jerusalem in the morning, knowing I have received some incredible grace. And I thank those who offered it.

View from the restaurant I had lunch with the ladies at, overlooking Ein Kerem
My lunch.



Jill, Lois and Barbara

Farewell dinner: Lois, Deb, Fr. Bob, Bishop Suheil, Fr. Zahi, Barbar and Shafeka, the Bishop's wife
Lois and Deb
Fr. Bob and Bishop Suheil
Barbara and I
Barbara, Shafeka, Jill, Lois and Deb
Bishop Suheil and I

No comments:

Post a Comment